Chicken smash burgers are a delicious twist on the classic beef smash burgers. Instead of using ground beef, these burgers are made with ground chicken, resulting in a lighter and healthier option. The term “smash” refers to the technique of flattening the patty on the griddle, which creates a crispy exterior and juicy interior.
Cooking chicken smash burgers on a griddle has several benefits. Firstly, the griddle provides an even and consistent heat distribution, ensuring that the patties cook evenly. Additionally, the griddle allows for maximum surface contact with the patties, resulting in a nice sear and caramelization. The griddle also allows for easy cleanup, as any excess fat or juices can be easily drained away.
- Chicken smash burgers are a delicious alternative to traditional beef burgers.
- The key ingredients for making chicken smash burgers are ground chicken, salt, and pepper.
- To prepare the chicken patty, form it into a ball and flatten it with a spatula on a preheated griddle.
- The griddle should be preheated to medium-high heat before cooking the chicken smash burgers.
- Adding cheese and other toppings to the chicken smash burgers is a great way to customize them to your liking.
Ingredients Required for Making Chicken Smash Burgers
To make chicken smash burgers, you will need the following ingredients:
– Ground chicken: Choose ground chicken that is lean and not too fatty. Look for ground chicken that is labeled as “ground chicken breast” or “ground chicken thigh” for the best flavor and texture.
– Salt and pepper: Season the patties with salt and pepper to enhance their flavor.
– Oil: Use a neutral oil with a high smoke point, such as vegetable or canola oil, to prevent sticking on the griddle.
– Buns: Select buns that are sturdy enough to hold up to the juicy chicken patty. Brioche or potato buns work well.
– Cheese and toppings: Choose your favorite cheese and toppings to customize your chicken smash burgers. Popular options include cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and mayonnaise.
When selecting ground chicken for your patties, it’s important to choose high-quality meat. Look for ground chicken that is fresh and has a pinkish color. Avoid any ground chicken that looks gray or has a strong odor, as this may indicate that it is not fresh. Additionally, choose ground chicken that is labeled as organic or free-range if possible, as these options tend to have better flavor and texture.
Preparing the Chicken Patty for Smash Burgers
To form the chicken patties for smash burgers, follow these step-by-step instructions:
1. Divide the ground chicken into equal portions. Depending on the size of the burgers you want to make, divide the ground chicken into 4-6 equal portions.
2. Shape each portion into a ball. Roll each portion of ground chicken between your hands to form a ball shape.
3. Flatten the balls into patties. Place each ball of ground chicken onto a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Using your hand or a flat-bottomed object, such as a measuring cup or spatula, press down firmly on each ball to flatten it into a patty shape. Aim for a thickness of about 1/2 inch.
4. Season the patties with salt and pepper. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of each patty to season them.
Preheating the Griddle for Cooking Chicken Smash Burgers
Preheating the griddle is an important step in cooking chicken smash burgers. It ensures that the patties cook evenly and develop a nice sear on the outside.
To preheat the griddle, follow these steps:
1. Turn on the griddle and set it to medium-high heat. Allow the griddle to heat up for at least 10 minutes before cooking.
2. Test the heat by sprinkling a few drops of water on the griddle. If the water sizzles and evaporates immediately, the griddle is ready for cooking.
3. Lightly oil the griddle surface. Use a brush or paper towel to spread a thin layer of oil over the griddle surface to prevent sticking.
Techniques for Smashing Chicken Patty on the Griddle
The smashing technique is what gives chicken smash burgers their signature crispy exterior and juicy interior. To achieve the perfect smash, follow these tips:
1. Place the chicken patty on the preheated griddle. Carefully transfer each patty onto the griddle surface, leaving enough space between each patty for easy flipping.
2. Use a spatula or a heavy-duty metal press to flatten the patty. Press down firmly on the patty with the spatula or press, applying even pressure to flatten it. Aim for a thickness of about 1/4 inch.
3. Hold the spatula or press down on the patty for about 10-15 seconds. This allows the patty to sear and develop a nice crust.
4. Lift the spatula or press and carefully flip the patty. Use a spatula to lift and flip the patty, being careful not to break it apart.
Cooking Time and Temperature for Chicken Smash Burgers
The cooking time and temperature for chicken smash burgers will depend on the thickness of your patties and your desired level of doneness. However, as a general guideline, aim for a cooking time of about 4-5 minutes per side.
To ensure that your chicken smash burgers are cooked to a safe internal temperature, use a meat thermometer to check the doneness. The internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C) for fully cooked chicken.
Adding Cheese and Other Toppings to Chicken Smash Burgers
Once your chicken smash burgers are cooked to perfection, it’s time to add cheese and other toppings to take them to the next level.
For cheese, cheddar is a classic choice that pairs well with chicken. Place a slice of cheddar cheese on top of each patty while they are still on the griddle. Cover the griddle with a lid or a metal bowl to create a steamy environment that will help melt the cheese.
As for other toppings, the options are endless. Lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and mayonnaise are all popular choices. Customize your chicken smash burgers with your favorite toppings to suit your taste.
Assembling the Chicken Smash Burgers with Buns and Condiments
To assemble your chicken smash burgers, follow these step-by-step instructions:
1. Toast the buns. Lightly butter the cut sides of the buns and place them on the griddle to toast until golden brown.
2. Spread condiments on the bottom bun. Choose your favorite condiments, such as mayonnaise, ketchup, or mustard, and spread them on the bottom bun.
3. Place the chicken patty on top of the condiments. Carefully transfer each chicken patty onto the bottom bun.
4. Add cheese and other toppings. Place a slice of cheese on top of each patty, followed by your desired toppings.
5. Place the top bun on the burger. Finish assembling the burger by placing the top bun on top of the toppings.
Serving Suggestions for Chicken Smash Burgers
Chicken smash burgers pair well with a variety of sides to create a complete meal. Here are some suggestions:
– French fries: Serve your chicken smash burgers with crispy french fries for a classic combination.
– Sweet potato fries: For a healthier alternative, try serving your burgers with sweet potato fries.
– Coleslaw: The creamy and tangy flavors of coleslaw complement the juicy chicken patties perfectly.
– Salad: Serve your chicken smash burgers with a side salad for a lighter option.
– Grilled vegetables: Grilled vegetables, such as zucchini, bell peppers, and onions, add a delicious smoky flavor to your meal.
When serving your chicken smash burgers, presentation is key. Arrange the burgers neatly on a platter and garnish with fresh herbs, such as parsley or cilantro, for a pop of color.
Tips and Tricks for Perfecting Your Chicken Smash Burgers on the Griddle
To perfect your chicken smash burgers on the griddle, consider these additional tips and tricks:
– Keep the patties cold: Before cooking, refrigerate the formed patties for at least 30 minutes. This helps them hold their shape and prevents them from falling apart on the griddle.
– Don’t overcrowd the griddle: Leave enough space between each patty to ensure even cooking and easy flipping.
– Use a meat thermometer: To ensure that your chicken smash burgers are cooked to a safe internal temperature, use a meat thermometer to check the doneness.
– Experiment with seasonings: Feel free to experiment with different seasonings to add flavor to your chicken patties. Try adding spices like paprika, garlic powder, or onion powder to the ground chicken mixture before forming the patties.
– Get creative with toppings: Don’t be afraid to get creative with your toppings. Consider adding avocado slices, bacon, or even a fried egg for an extra indulgent twist.
By following these tips and tricks, you can create delicious and flavorful chicken smash burgers that are sure to impress your family and friends. Enjoy!
If you’re looking to take your outdoor griddling skills to the next level, be sure to check out Cookedly’s article on “Outdoor Griddles Worth the Hype.” This informative piece explores the benefits and features of outdoor griddles, providing valuable insights and tips for using them like a pro. Whether you’re a seasoned griddling enthusiast or just starting out, this article is a must-read for anyone looking to elevate their outdoor cooking game. (source)
What are Chicken Smash Burgers?
Chicken Smash Burgers are a type of burger made with ground chicken that is smashed onto a griddle or skillet to create a crispy, flavorful patty.
What ingredients are needed to make Chicken Smash Burgers?
To make Chicken Smash Burgers, you will need ground chicken, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and any additional seasonings or toppings you prefer.
How do you make Chicken Smash Burgers?
To make Chicken Smash Burgers, you will need to form the ground chicken into small patties and season them with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Then, you will need to smash the patties onto a hot griddle or skillet until they are crispy and cooked through.
What is the cooking time for Chicken Smash Burgers?
The cooking time for Chicken Smash Burgers will vary depending on the size and thickness of the patties, as well as the heat of the griddle or skillet. Generally, they will take about 3-4 minutes per side to cook through.
What are some toppings that go well with Chicken Smash Burgers?
Some toppings that go well with Chicken Smash Burgers include cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, bacon, avocado, and various sauces and condiments.
Are Chicken Smash Burgers a healthy option?
Chicken Smash Burgers can be a healthier option than traditional beef burgers, as chicken is generally lower in fat and calories. However, the overall healthiness of the burger will depend on the specific ingredients and toppings used.