Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle are a delicious and easy-to-make option for parties or weeknight dinners. This recipe takes the classic meatball sub and transforms it into bite-sized sliders that are perfect for sharing. The meatballs are smashed flat on the griddle, creating a crispy exterior while keeping the inside juicy and flavorful. Topped with melted cheese and your favorite condiments, these sliders are sure to be a hit with family and friends.
Whether you’re hosting a game night, a backyard barbecue, or simply looking for a quick and satisfying meal, Smashed Meatball Sliders are a great option. They can be made in advance and assembled right before serving, making them perfect for entertaining. The combination of tender meatballs, melted cheese, and flavorful toppings creates a mouthwatering bite that will have everyone coming back for more. Plus, cooking them on the griddle adds an extra layer of flavor and texture that you won’t get from traditional baking or frying methods.
- Smashed meatball sliders are a delicious and easy-to-make meal option.
- The Italian slider recipe requires ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, parmesan cheese, and seasonings.
- To make the sliders, form small meatballs and smash them on a hot griddle until cooked through.
- Tips for preparing meatballs include using a mixture of beef and pork, adding moisture with milk or ricotta cheese, and chilling the mixture before forming into balls.
- Choosing the perfect cheese for your sliders can elevate the flavor, with options like mozzarella, provolone, or gorgonzola.
Ingredients for Italian Sliders Recipe
To make Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle, you will need the following ingredients:
– Ground beef: Use lean ground beef for the best texture and flavor. You can also substitute ground turkey or chicken if you prefer.
– Bread crumbs: These help bind the meatballs together and add some texture. You can use regular bread crumbs or panko breadcrumbs for a crunchier coating.
– Parmesan cheese: Grated Parmesan cheese adds a savory flavor to the meatballs.
– Garlic: Fresh minced garlic adds a delicious aroma and taste to the meatballs.
– Italian seasoning: A blend of dried herbs like oregano, basil, and thyme adds an authentic Italian flavor to the meatballs.
– Salt and pepper: Season the meatballs with salt and pepper to taste.
– Slider buns: Use small slider buns or dinner rolls for the perfect size.
– Cheese: Mozzarella or provolone cheese are classic choices for meatball sliders, but you can also experiment with other cheeses like cheddar or pepper jack.
– Toppings: Choose your favorite toppings to customize your sliders. Some popular options include marinara sauce, sautéed onions and peppers, sliced tomatoes, and fresh basil.
Feel free to get creative with the ingredients and add your own twist to the recipe. You can try using different types of ground meat, such as pork or lamb, or experiment with different cheeses and toppings to suit your taste.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making Smashed Meatball Sliders
1. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
2. Shape the mixture into small meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter. You can use a cookie scoop or your hands to portion out the meat mixture.
3. Preheat a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add a drizzle of oil to the griddle.
4. Place the meatballs on the griddle and use a spatula or flat-bottomed glass to gently press down on each meatball to flatten it into a patty shape. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through.
5. While the meatballs are cooking, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Split the slider buns in half and place them on a baking sheet.
6. Once the meatballs are cooked, remove them from the griddle and set aside. Place a slice of cheese on each bun half and toast them in the oven for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the buns are slightly crispy.
7. To assemble the sliders, place a meatball patty on the bottom half of each bun. Add your desired toppings, such as marinara sauce, sautéed onions and peppers, sliced tomatoes, and fresh basil. Top with the other half of the bun.
8. Serve the Smashed Meatball Sliders immediately while they are still warm and gooey. Enjoy!
Tips for Preparing Meatballs for Sliders
When making meatballs for sliders, it’s important to keep a few things in mind to ensure they turn out perfectly.
1. Size and shape: Aim for meatballs that are about 1 inch in diameter. This will ensure they fit nicely on the slider buns and are easy to eat in one bite. Use a cookie scoop or your hands to portion out the meat mixture and roll it into balls.
2. Flatten the meatballs: The key to making Smashed Meatball Sliders is to flatten the meatballs into patties on the griddle. This creates a larger surface area for browning and gives the sliders a crispy exterior. Use a spatula or flat-bottomed glass to gently press down on each meatball until it flattens into a patty shape.
3. Cook evenly: To ensure that the meatballs cook evenly on the griddle, make sure they are all roughly the same size and thickness. This will ensure that they cook at the same rate and are done at the same time. If you have larger meatballs, you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Choosing the Perfect Cheese for Your Sliders
The choice of cheese can make or break your Smashed Meatball Sliders, so it’s important to choose one that pairs well with the Italian flavors.
Mozzarella cheese is a classic choice for meatball sliders as it melts beautifully and has a mild, creamy flavor that complements the meatballs. Provolone cheese is another popular option that adds a slightly sharper flavor to the sliders. Both cheeses melt well on the griddle and create a gooey, cheesy layer that holds the sliders together.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can experiment with other types of cheese to add different flavors to your sliders. Cheddar cheese adds a rich, sharp taste, while pepper jack cheese adds a spicy kick. Blue cheese crumbles can also be a delicious addition for those who enjoy a stronger, tangy flavor.
To melt the cheese perfectly on the griddle, place a slice of cheese on each meatball patty as soon as you flip them over. The residual heat from the griddle will melt the cheese while the meatballs finish cooking. Alternatively, you can cover the griddle with a lid or aluminum foil for a minute or two to help melt the cheese faster.
Adding Flavorful Toppings to Your Smashed Meatball Sliders
Toppings are what take Smashed Meatball Sliders from ordinary to extraordinary. Here are some ideas for flavorful toppings that complement the meatballs and cheese:
– Marinara sauce: A classic choice for meatball sliders, marinara sauce adds a tangy and slightly sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with the savory meatballs and melted cheese.
– Sautéed onions and peppers: Cook thinly sliced onions and bell peppers in a little oil until they are soft and slightly caramelized. This adds a delicious sweetness and crunch to the sliders.
– Sliced tomatoes: Fresh tomatoes add a juicy and refreshing element to the sliders. Choose ripe tomatoes and slice them thinly for easy eating.
– Fresh basil: Tear some fresh basil leaves and sprinkle them over the sliders for a burst of freshness and herbaceous flavor.
– Pickles: Add some tanginess and crunch by placing pickle slices on top of the meatballs. You can use dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, or any other variety you prefer.
– Spicy mayo: Mix mayonnaise with your favorite hot sauce or sriracha for a spicy kick. Spread this on the buns before assembling the sliders for an extra layer of flavor.
When layering the toppings, it’s important to consider the texture and order of assembly. Start with a base layer of sauce, such as marinara or spicy mayo, to prevent the bun from getting soggy. Then add your meatball patty, cheese, and any other toppings you desire. Finish with a sprinkle of fresh herbs or a drizzle of sauce for added flavor.
Serving Suggestions for Italian Sliders
Smashed Meatball Sliders are delicious on their own, but they can be even more satisfying when served with the right sides and drinks. Here are some suggestions to complete your meal:
– Side dishes: Serve your sliders with a side of crispy french fries, sweet potato fries, or onion rings for a classic pub-style meal. A simple green salad or coleslaw can also be a refreshing accompaniment.
– Dips and sauces: Offer a variety of dipping sauces for your sliders, such as marinara sauce, ranch dressing, or garlic aioli. These can be used for dipping the sliders or as a condiment on the side.
– Drinks: Pair your sliders with ice-cold beer for a casual gathering or opt for refreshing beverages like lemonade, iced tea, or soda. For those who prefer non-alcoholic options, fruit-infused water or sparkling water with a splash of citrus can be a great choice.
To present the sliders for a party or gathering, arrange them on a large platter or wooden board. You can garnish the platter with fresh herbs or sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese over the top for an extra touch. Provide small plates and napkins for easy serving and clean-up.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Sliders
If you have any leftover Smashed Meatball Sliders, you can store them in the fridge or freezer for later enjoyment.
To store in the fridge, place the leftover sliders in an airtight container or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap. They will keep well for up to 3 days. When ready to eat, reheat them in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10 minutes, until warmed through.
To freeze the sliders, individually wrap each one in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. They will keep well for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw them in the fridge overnight and then follow the same reheating instructions as above.
Variations on the Classic Smashed Meatball Slider Recipe
While the classic Smashed Meatball Slider recipe is delicious on its own, there are endless possibilities for variations to suit your taste and preferences.
– Different meats: Instead of using ground beef, try using ground pork, lamb, chicken, or turkey for a different flavor profile. You can also mix different types of ground meat together for a unique blend.
– Different cheeses: Experiment with different types of cheese to add new flavors to your sliders. Try using Swiss cheese, gouda, feta, or even blue cheese for a bold twist.
– Vegetarian options: If you prefer a vegetarian version, you can substitute the ground meat with plant-based alternatives like Beyond Meat or Impossible Meat. These options provide a similar texture and flavor to traditional meatballs.
– Gluten-free options: If you’re following a gluten-free diet, use gluten-free breadcrumbs or crushed gluten-free crackers instead of regular bread crumbs. You can also use gluten-free slider buns or lettuce wraps as a substitute for the buns.
– Spicy sliders: Add some heat to your sliders by mixing in chopped jalapeños or crushed red pepper flakes into the meat mixture. You can also top the sliders with sliced jalapeños or a spicy hot sauce.
– Mediterranean twist: Give your sliders a Mediterranean twist by adding some crumbled feta cheese, sliced Kalamata olives, and a dollop of tzatziki sauce. Serve them on pita bread instead of slider buns for an extra touch.
Feel free to get creative and experiment with different flavors and ingredients to make the recipe your own. The possibilities are endless!
Frequently Asked Questions about Making Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle
Q: Can I make the meatballs ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make the meatballs ahead of time and store them in the fridge for up to 24 hours. When ready to cook, simply flatten them on the griddle and follow the cooking instructions as usual.
Q: Can I cook the meatballs in the oven instead of on the griddle?
A: Yes, if you don’t have a griddle or prefer to bake them, you can place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for about 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
Q: Can I use frozen meatballs instead of making them from scratch?
A: Yes, if you’re short on time or prefer to use frozen meatballs, you can thaw them according to the package instructions and then flatten them on the griddle as directed. Just make sure they are fully cooked before assembling the sliders.
Q: Can I use a grill instead of a griddle?
A: Yes, you can certainly cook the meatballs on a grill instead of a griddle. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and cook the meatballs for 3-4 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through. Make sure to oil the grill grates to prevent sticking.
Q: Can I make these sliders without cheese?
A: Yes, if you prefer to skip the cheese or have dietary restrictions, you can still enjoy the delicious flavors of the meatballs and toppings without the cheese. Simply omit the cheese and proceed with the recipe as usual.
Q: Can I make these sliders in a slow cooker?
A: While it’s not recommended to cook the meatballs in a slow cooker for this recipe, you can certainly keep them warm in a slow cooker if you’re serving them at a party or gathering. Place the cooked meatballs in a slow cooker on the “warm” setting and cover them with marinara sauce to keep them moist and flavorful.
By following these tips and instructions, you’ll be able to make delicious Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle that are perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a party or looking for a quick and satisfying weeknight dinner, these sliders are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Get creative with your toppings and enjoy the mouthwatering combination of juicy meatballs, melted cheese, and flavorful condiments.
If you’re looking to take your summer cookouts to the next level, then you need to check out this article on “Grilled Perfection: How a Griddle Can Take Your Summer Cookouts to the Next Level.” It’s packed with expert techniques for using an outdoor griddle and includes delicious recipes like Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle – Italian Sliders Recipe! Whether you’re a grilling pro or just starting out, this article will help you unlock your culinary creativity and create flavorful results. So fire up your griddle and get ready to impress your friends and family with mouthwatering sliders and more! (source)
What are Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle?
Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle are a type of Italian slider recipe that features meatballs that are smashed flat and cooked on a griddle. They are served on slider buns with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.
What ingredients are needed to make Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle?
The ingredients needed to make Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle include ground beef, Italian sausage, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, slider buns, marinara sauce, and mozzarella cheese.
How do you make Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle?
To make Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle, you first mix together the ground beef, Italian sausage, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. Then, you form the mixture into small meatballs and flatten them with a spatula. Cook the meatballs on a griddle until they are browned and cooked through. Serve the meatballs on slider buns with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.
What is the cooking time for Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle?
The cooking time for Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle will vary depending on the size of the meatballs and the heat of the griddle. Generally, it takes about 3-4 minutes per side to cook the meatballs until they are browned and cooked through.
What is the nutritional information for Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle?
The nutritional information for Smashed Meatball Sliders on the Griddle will vary depending on the specific recipe and ingredients used. However, generally, each slider will have around 300-400 calories, 20-25 grams of protein, and 15-20 grams of fat. It is important to check the specific recipe and adjust the ingredients as needed to meet your dietary needs.