Know what kind of material you’re cleaning
There are several things your gas stove can collect while you use it, from leftover food to grease.
If you leave any trace of bacteria or contaminants on your stove top, this could be harmful if ingested.
Any time you handle something metallic, like a pan or lid, it is good practice to also cover your grate with an ash catcher sheet in order to prevent ashes from entering the airway.
Remember that even though there aren’t many fumes when you burn wood, all fire does is heat up the metal rods inside the stove.
That hot metal can release ions into your kitchen air, which is why windows got cloudy after burning candles or smoking foods outside.
Know what kinds of oils and chemicals can be dangerous
Although most gas stoves are designed to prevent hot air from escaping, there are many compounds that can burn you if they contact your skin.
Know which ones are hazardous and keep an eye out for them; but in general, any oil or alcohol is going to produce negative results when it burns.
Anything made from petroleum — like asphalt, gasoline, or lubricants—can be harmful to humans if burned.
So can anything with acetone in it, such as nail polish remover or some cleaners. Any chemical can produce toxic fumes if burnt.
And just about anything can form deposits inside your burner if left untreated, including food products, soap scum, caramel, etc.
Keep all cleaners near the stove
There are different types of cleaners you can use, which depend on what kind of burner is causing your trouble.
Whatever cleaner you choose, keep it nearby in case there’s any malfunction or emergency. Mix cleaners according to instructions, then start with cold food.
Then, dump this onto your now-clean skillet and put the heat on high. You want the dish to melt slowly, leaving behind whatever residue could be gumming up your burners.
Once it does, take it out and carefully remove the grease using a paper towel, if possible. Then, drop 1–2 drops of liquid extinguisher into the hole and proceed accordingly.
If this wasn’t an option, you could try putting some vinegar around the edges of the area (this will also help prevent future burns). Once everything has cooled, wash off the pan and enjoy your meal without anything extra going on.
Use oil and water for cooking oil
There is one thing you should use right away when cleaning a gas stove; cooking oil, also called olive oil or vegetable oil. This lubricant will help prevent your burner elements from getting too hot while you clean them.
You can find cooking oil at most grocery stores. It’s easy to get if you need it for another purpose, so this step isn’t necessarily unique to make sure the stove stays cool.
There are two things that make up the fuel element of a gas stove. One is usually an electric heating coil, and the other is a tank full of pressurized propane.
When any cooking food is put onto the heated surface of the grill, the flame will jump across the burners. If there is no fire lit, heat still comes out of the bottom vent in all models.
This temperature varies slightly depending on the model, but anywhere between 500 degrees F (260 °C) and 1200 degrees F (1040 °C) is well within these ranges. These temperatures could potentially damage your cookware, and they are definitely high enough to hurt your hands! So keep those fingers behind bars while you’re trying to build a fire.
Use paper towels, not cloth ones
If you put any non-paper items such as clothes on your stovetop, they will get burned. Instead, use paper towel strips that can be torn off easily in pieces, and regular toilet paper if there are no paper towels.
The best way to clean out an ashtray is with cold water. You won’t burn your fingers otherwise! Remove all of the ash from inside the tray using that method, then rinse it under cold running water for another method.
Always test clean products before use
There are hundreds of gas stove cleaning products that can cost you money, so don’t assume that just because it says “gas cleaner” on it that it will work.
There is one product that I do recommend though. It’s called Gazave which is made for gaseous fuels but also works on charcoal.
It has no chemicals and just needs heat to break down the particles in the air that cause cancer. I have two children with asthma who are at high risk as we put more smoke into the environment. Since using this product they both have had very little breathing trouble.
It’s easy to use and washes away with water. Here is a link where you can buy it online.
Wash your dishes immediately
If you have a dishwasher, this may be your easiest choice. However, if you are cleaning up after a meal, it is better to use the sink.
That’s because when you wash foods in water, they can continue reacting with food chemicals (such as sodium) while they are still wet. These reactions can produce chemicals that are unhealthy for your skin and lungs.
Also, some ingredients mix into the washing liquid, which makes it more concentrated than needed by applying extra soap. This also has an impact on our health.
Finally, there are often many pieces of cooking equipment at your disposal- no way to properly dispose of them all at once. But one pot or pan at a time is enough to do a lot of good.
It’s easier to thoroughly clean something before putting it in the oven or keeping it inside overnight, but this isn’t always possible.
Do not microwave with the burner on
This is where 80% of gas stove accidents happen. Only you know if your model gas stove can hold up under full heating when it is covered. Most electric stoves indicate a warning when the pan is empty or nearly so.
To find out whether your gas stove can actually accept a load before putting it in the oven, check its manual.
Always watch what you are cleaning
There is no way around it-when your stove is burning fuels, there’s a risk that something can go wrong. People burn fuel in their stoves every day, and so they need to be aware of this risk as much as possible.
Some people have very cautious attitudes towards cooking on the fire, while others may feel more comfortable.
You may trust your stove only uses gas and doesn’t smoke at all when it’s firing up, for example, but just because something is safer doesn’t mean you shouldn’t worry about it. Nothing is 100% safe, not even electricity!
Stoves do well to heat spaces quickly, but they also create risks if they aren’t carefully managed. If left unchecked, excess heating can make a room smell smoky or sound wet instead of cool.
If these things happen, try adjusting the airflow settings to let some airflow through the chamber or opening. This helps remove the fumes and steam from the combustion process.